Tuesday, August 13, 2019

August Days and Thimble Summer

On the left peaches from a kind neighbor and on the right tomatoes from our garden! I am hoping to make salsa tomorrow.

 "While the men worked on the barn Garnet and her mother had their hands full with the house and garden; for now the garden was yielding in all its abundance. It was hard to keep up with it. When you had finished picking all the beans it was time to pick yellow squashes, shaped like hunting horns. And when you had got through with squash it was time for the beans again. And then you had to hurry, hurry and gather the bursting ripe tomatoes from the heavy vines, for canning. Then there were beets and carrots to be attended to; and after that it was time for the beans again.

"Beans never know when to stop" said Garnet's mother in annoyance.

Corn was picked every day; and that was pleasant , walking in the rustling good-smelling aisles between the stalks. And the watermelons! Big solid green ones that Garnet thumped with a finger to see if they sounded ripe. And every now and then she dropped one on purpose and it would burst open, cold as a glacier and rosy red. Then she would walk homeward dripping and drooling, spitting out black seeds and feeling fine.

And Canning! Oh those weeks of harvesting and peeling and preparing apples, peaches, tomatoes, cucumbers, plums and beans. All day the kitchen smelled like heaven and was filled with steam.The stove was covered with kettles and vats, and upside down on the windowsill stood processions of mason jars full of bright color and hot to the touch."

From Thimble Summer by Elizabeth Enright 1938
Jemimah and I recently finished reading Thimble Summer together. It is hard to say who enjoyed it more. I love stories that are set in rural areas and especially those that take place in the 1930's. Thimble Summer is a simple story that spans a summer in the life of a young mid-western farm girl. There were many incidents in the story that made us laugh and a couple that surprised Jemimah. She would occasionally feel it necessary to scold the main character, Garnet, as she would get herself into some rather wild predicaments. 

I especially enjoyed the descriptions of home and family throughout the book. The selection I shared above seemed to capture the essence of August. The smells, the warmth, the abundance. 
My kitchen has been once again taken over by my canner and an assortment of beautiful vegetables from our garden. We feel truly blessed by the produce we have picked each day.

Today I made dill relish. I have made dill pickles each year but never relish. Adam loves relish and made a special request that I would find a relish recipe and give it a try. This was the ideal year since we seem to have more cucumbers than we know what to do with. This is the recipe I used. I can't say how it tastes, it needs to set for two weeks before using. But we are looking forward to sampling some then!

Don't forget, it is always best to do your canning in a pretty apron. It makes the experience more enjoyable, and keeps your clothes clean. : ) This particular apron is sewn from one of my favorite calicos, so be sure to stop by my shop if you find yourself in need of a new apron.

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing,  in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


8 comments:

  1. I love canning but and I was hoping to have lots of tomatoes to can but my "maters" don't seem to be wanting to product anything this year. I agree, I love canning in pretty aprons! I've made a few and they are so nice to wear. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how wonderful that you have an abundance of vegetables to can and put up! I have made zucchini relish a few times, it is very tasty! Your aprons are so beautiful and I do wear one every time I cook a meal and when we get together with the girls too can jelly I hand out aprons to all of them! Your book sounds delightful! Hope you are doing well! Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so good to have an abundant harvest. I am processing tomates too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLA SARA, QUE ALEGRIA SABER DE TI¡¡¡ CUANTAS BENDICIONES QUERIDA HERMANA, Y TUS DELANTALES SON UNICOS Y HERMOSOS. NO TARDES TANTO EN PUBLICAR, PASO MUCHO TIEMPO ENTRE UNA PUBLICACION Y OTRA, ME GUSTA SABER DE TI Y TUS HERMOSAS CREACIONES, ¿TIENES ALGO NUEVO EN BORDADO? ¿ALGO NUEVO EN VESTIDOS DE NIÑA? TENGO 3 HERMOSAS NIETAS DE 5 AÑOS, OTRA DE 3 Y LA MAS PEQUEÑA DE 1 AÑITO, ME ENCANTA HACERLES VESTIDOS, ¿ME DAS ALGUNAS IDEAS? SE QUE LE HAS HECHO A TU HIJA, QUIERO TENER NUEVAS IDEAS PARA LAS PRINCESAS DE LA CASA. BENDICIONES HERMANA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so remember those August days in my mother's hot kitchen where the canners never seemed to rest, and the cabinet tops were always crowded with canning jars. And, it did seem like the beans never knew when to stop. Mom and I both wore aprons when we worked in the kitchen. You have so many nice ones in your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this post Sarah. I brought so many memories. I'm going to try to find Thimble Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so wonderful to hear you speak of your home and family. Of your delightful kitchen and beautiful aprons! I hope your canning all comes together well for you... and do update us on your relish and how you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog posts and all it’s simplicity of life.

    ReplyDelete