Saturday, July 13, 2019

Chicago Crunch Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

When I was a teenager my great grandma gave me one of her most special possessions: her cookbook. I was so blessed and happy that she would give me her cookbook, since I was one of many great grandchildren. But grandma knew that I loved to cook and that I would cherish her collection of recipes.

The recipes grandma saved are quite varied, some were cut out of the newspaper or a magazine. Other recipes are written in grandma's own handwriting or another family member's handwritten recipe that they had shared with her.

Over the years I have enjoyed being able to flip through grandma's cookbook and see her dear handwriting. I have also enjoyed trying many of the old-fashioned recipes she saved. Some of our favorites have been her Chili Sauce, Cherry Crumb Cake and Dairy Delight, yum! : )
 The recipe that I most closely associate with my great grandma is Chicago Crunch Chocolate Chip Cookies. Among all of grandma's family her best loved recipe was definitely "Chicago Crunchers"! It seems as though every time we stopped by her home grandma was in the process of making a batch of Chicago Crunchers or had just made a batch. Most of the time we would leave her house with a tin of her Chicago Crunchers to take home with us.

Even after all of these years I still think of grandma every time I make a batch. I remember watching her make them when I was growing up, it was her way of showing her love for all of us.

Chicago Crunch Chocolate Chip Cookie

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp.salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup margarine (I use butter in place of the margarine)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 Tbsp. milk 
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup vegetable oil (I use canola oil)
1 cup corn flakes
1 cup quick oats
1 package 12 oz. chocolate chips

Instructions:
Sift flour, baking soda and salt.
Beat margarine, butter brown sugar and granulated sugar, egg, milk and vanilla until well blended. Stir in flour mixture alternately with oil until well mixed. Stir in corn flakes, oats and chocolate chips.
Drop by heaping teaspoon fulls onto ungreased cookie sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

If you decide to try this recipe I hope you will enjoy it as much as we have over the years. You never know - it may become a family tradition for you as well.
 

9 comments:

  1. What a delight to have the cookbook. I also have my mother's recipe book, and so many of the pages are written in my grandma's lovely handwriting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a special keepsake. I began a similar cookbook filled with my favorite recipes. I hope someday it will be enjoyed by a granddaughter.

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this post :) Aren't Nana's/grandmothers so special. My Nana loved to bake too and my fondest memories of her are going there as a child and eating a lot of cookies and cakes. I don't have any of her cookbooks, but oh my what a treasure it would be if I did. Thank you for sharing this lovely story and the recipe. A few years back I tasted a delicious cookie that had oil in it. It was purchased from an amish farm while I was travelling in America. I could never find a recipe for a cookie with oil, but this one may be worth trying. I just know it was a lovely soft cookie. Blessings to you ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I hope you will enjoy this recipe. The cookies are soft, but have a nice crunch from the corn flakes. It is really a great combination.

      Delete
  3. Oh, how special to have her cookbook, Sarah! What a treasure! I am so glad you have a keepsake like that of hers. And the added treat of the delicious recipes to make! This one sounds great, and one I plan to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as we have. Yes, I feel truly blessed to have my great grandma's cookbook, it is a treasure!

      Delete
  4. What a treasure! I have a couple of my Grandma's and Great Grandma's cookbooks. But not one that was collected or handwritten. So special! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my what a wonderful post filled with wonderful memories. I'd love to try your grandma's cookies, but I'm trying to cut down on sugar right now. Maybe near the holidays.
    Pretty apron. I still love mine.
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete