Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Grandma's Molasses Crinkle Cookies

Throughout my childhood and teen years grandma's molasses crinkle cookies were always a favorite! I have many fond memories of grandma stopping by for a visit, bringing along a zip-loc bag filled with molasses crinkle cookies. I would have to say this recipe was probably my grandma's signature cookie. She would often triple the batch in order to have enough to share with all of her grandchildren. I can't help but think of grandma whenever I make these cookies! I hope if you try the recipe you will enjoy them as much as we do. : )

Grandma's Molasses Crinkle Cookies 

2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2  tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
3/4 cup shortening or softened butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 molasses

Directions: Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon and ginger. Cream shortening, sugar and egg. Mix in molasses, followed by dry ingredients, mix well. Chill dough for at least 2 hours. Shape dough into walnut size balls, dipping one side of each ball in granulated sugar. Sprinkle each cookie with 2-3 drops of water. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

7 comments:

  1. These look delicious. Didn't you share a recipe for your grandpa's favorite molasses cookies? Are these the same ones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! But I would have to omit the cloves, as I don't care for them. I'm sure they would still taste pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious. I will make them the next time the grandkids are coming out to see us. Pleasant post about a pleasant grandmother.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies look and sound delicious, Sarah. I added molasses to my grocery list to have available in the pantry to try these.
    Thank you for sharing this sweet memory ~ it reminded me of my own Nana's toll house cookies, which were a favorite of mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These special memories are the best when they continue through generations! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look just like the molasses cookies that my family made growing up. They are my Dad's favorite cookie and one of my favorites, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah~
    This recipe looks wonderful!!
    I'm going to bake these and take them to Canada with us for my father-in-law when we go, which will be in less that two weeks. I just know that he will enjoy these cookies.
    You know...I've been thinking of just what I was going to bake and take for him and hadn't quite decided, now I know of one thing I'll take. He loves butter tarts, so that will also be one thing I will bake.

    Thank you for sharing your grandmother with us~

    ReplyDelete