Sunday, May 30, 2021

Springtime Beauty

May has been a beautiful month where I live. My family and I have been enjoying the return of each springtime flower and feathered friends. It is always such an amazing blessing to see spring unfold after a long cold winter.


 My daughter and I find great delight in awaiting the arrival of our favorite flowers. I cherish all of the sweet little bouquets my daughter collects for our kitchen table.


 Star of Bethlehem is one of if not my favorite springtime flower. It is a wildflower that began blooming on our property a couple of years after we moved into our home. It tends to be a short lived flower, so we anxiously await its blossoming and soak up its beauty while we can. Each time I see the Star of Bethlehem flower I can't help but think of the sweet Christmas song by that name. : )

Our crab apple tree was especially beautiful this year! I always love the vibrant pink blossoms.
I was so impressed with the amount of blossoms on the tree this year.

We always eagerly anticipate the arrival of the Baltimore Orioles. Adam made little platforms for grape jelly, the orioles enjoy perching on the platforms while they eat the jelly. It is surprising just how much grape jelly they can eat in a week! If you look closely you will spot a male Baltimore oriole, a female and a very mischievous squirrel. 

We have a family of squirrels in the large old maple tree outside our living room window. We have enjoyed watching their unbelievable antics! They make us laugh so often with how cute and crazy they behave, especially the juvenile squirrels.
Adam took these pictures of the orioles early one morning. They can be fairly difficult to photograph. 

We have also been grateful to once again see the Rose Breasted Grosbeak, Eastern Bluebirds, hummingbirds and so many others! Many times when we visit my mom we are treated with a visit from the Pileated woodpecker, what an amazing creature!

We have planted our vegetable garden and are excited to once again watch the plants grow. Our first harvest this year was asparagus, which was an unexpected blessing. Adam had planted some asparagus roots in the garden last spring. We had read that it could take up to five years before the plants would produce anything edible. However, much to our delight we had enough asparagus to enjoy one evening with our dinner.

Adam started most of our plants from seed this year using heirloom seeds. Last year we had purchased tomato plants from a local greenhouse, at the time we hadn't realized they were heirloom tomatoes. They were the most delicious tomatoes we had ever tasted. The tomato variety was Boxcar Willy, it was the variety's name that caught our attention. Adam was able to save seeds from last years tomatoes and start his own Boxcar Willy tomato plants this year. We are excited to enjoy them once again this year.

Hopefully I will post again soon. It seems like there tends to be more to share during the spring, summer and fall. I hope to share some of my recent sewing projects soon.

Have you planted a garden this year? Are you enjoying any special feathered friends?


"O Lord, how manifold are thy works! in wisdom hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches." Psalm 104:24

31 comments:

  1. so glad to see your post. I love your photos. The flowers are very beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing your sewing . thank you for the post. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog post are worth waiting for. It is always a joy to visit here. Love your beautiful blooms and birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited to see a post from you! I enjoy your post about the simple things. Simple things bring so much peace and joy to my heart. May summer be as lovely as the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you have a lovely summer as well!

      Delete
  4. I love spring flowers! This year, I'm in my own apartment, so whenever I go home to my parents house I bring back flowers to my apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was through your blog that I discovered the name of the Star of Bethlehem flowers. : ) At one time you had a list of wildflowers you liked. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. I remember doing a blog post about it, because I saw those in my parents yard and they were so much more unique than a lot of the more "weedy" looking flowers.

      Delete
    3. Yes, Star of Bethlehem looks like what I used to imagine Edelweiss would look like.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful flowers and birds! I have been enjoying the blossoms around our area. Lilacs, Iris's, Peonies,... Now, Roses are catching my attention.
    We were able to put in a few small garden boxes. I am excited about our tomatoes this year. We are growing Black Krim tomatoes. I grew a plant of that variety several years ago and have never forgotten how flavorful the fruits were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love roses too! Adam has planted a rose bush and it is slowly coming along. I will have to look for Black Krim tomato seeds. We like to try new varieties.

      Delete
  6. Such a blessing to see a post from you! The pictures are so lovely. Your pictures and stories always make me happy. Spring has been very pretty here too. Enjoying gardening and wearing my aprons you made for me. I just planted a new rose bush and lambs ear. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorri! Roses and lambs ear are so lovely and old-fashioned.

      Delete
  7. QUE ALEGRIA SABER DE TI SARAH, ESTOY FELIZ DE VERTE NUEVAMENTE, QUE HERMOSAS FLORES, EL COLOR VIOLETA CLARO ES MI FAVORITO. ¿PORQUE HA PASADO TANTO TIEMPO DE TU ULTMA PUBLICACION? DISCULPA MI CURIOSIDAD, ME PREGUNTABA SI ESTABAS ENFERMA O PASANDO UN MAL MOMENTO. ¿PUEDES PASAR POR MI BLOG? GRACIAS. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana! I am grateful to say we have all been healthy. We enjoyed a blessed and busy winter! : )

      Delete
  8. Hi Sarah! Thanks for the beautiful photos of all the Springy blessings up your way. Of course! Lilacs!! Don't you love them so much? My David Austin "Abraham Darby" roses are lush and loaded this Spring -- bringing lots indoors to enjoy.
    How clever for Adam's Oriole platforms. I think I'll request Hubbins to copy this for ours next year -- our Orioles just left last week!
    Thanks for your post and I look forward to your summertime gardening updates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori! Your roses sound fabulous. Yes, the lilacs have been extra beautiful and abundant this year. Such a blessing!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed reading about how your spring has been going. :) Baltimore Orioles are such beautiful birds to have come around! We've been having Goldfinches come to our feeders lately. Thank you for sharing this post! I hope to get back to posting on my blog again eventually also, but as you said, sometimes during the winter there are not as many things to post about as there are in spring, summer and fall. Maybe now I'll have a few more things to start posting again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love to see the Goldfinches too. I will look forward to you post. : )

      Delete
  10. So fun to read this post!! I'm glad you are doing well, and enjoying the blossoming spring and summertime! My husband and I are enjoying the outdoors at our new (old) 1910s house, we were able to get a garden in and are enjoying seeing that begin to grow. I also am having fun finding out what flowers were planted here and there around our house and yard - there are about 8 peony bushes that are just now blooming, and I'm so excited to have big bouquets of them throughout the house :). Have a lovely rest of your week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Esther! It is so exciting to watch the flowers bloom, and not know what to expect. I remember that feeling when we moved to our home. What a treat to have 8 peonies! That is one flower I would love to grow at our home someday.

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for your posts, Sarah! I live in the suburbs of Washington DC and your posts are such a refreshing dose of country to my soul! We have plenty of red-wing Blackbirds, green herons, great blue herons, goldfinches, blue jays, cardinals, robins, and, believe it or not, turkeys! We are also experiencing the constant, loud buzzings of thousands of 17-year cicadas which emerged as the ground warmed up! We, too, had a family of squirells in our tree this year: four cute little babies. Hopefully they will not grow up to be raiders of our small garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment, Denise! : )

      Delete
  12. We're eating lettuce from the garden now. We have tomatoes, basil, jalapeno peppers, green peppers, cucumbers and zucchini planted. There may be something else, but it's not coming to mind. Since we moved to town, we have a smallish garden. It's in need of weeding right now. The focus was on cleaning out the garage this weekend.
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  13. SARAH: ¿SABES QUE PASO CON EL BLOG HOME AT WANSHAW? LO ENCONTRE ENTRE TUS BLOGS FAVORITOS, SON DE TENNESSE, UNA FAMILIA MUY LINDA, SU ULTIMA PUBLCACION ES DEL 2018, ELLA SE LLAMA ATLANTA, ESPERO PUEDAS RESPONDER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana,

      I think they may have gone from blogging to Instagram. My husband followed both Atlanta and her husband while he was on Instagram. However he left Instagram a year or so ago, and I haven't seen anything since then.

      Sarah

      Delete
  14. I am not sure if you will see the post on your own, but I wanted to let you know that I am hosting a small giveaway as a small "thank you" to all of my readers during my seven years of having my blog. I would love to have you join it if you would like to! Your blog has been a blessing to me many times.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sarah,
    Your home sounds to be a beautiful place:)
    Tia

    ReplyDelete