Thursday, December 31, 2020

Faith's Checkbook

 Over the years one of my favorite daily devotional books has been Faith's Checkbook by Charles Spurgeon. When I was growing up my mom would often read aloud from her own worn copy of Faith's Checkbook to my sisters and I. When I married mom gave me a copy of my own, and it has continued to encourage me with God's promises throughout the years.

Faith's Checkbook is a collection of 366 promises from God's Word, one for each day of the year, including leap years. In each reading Charles Spurgeon will expound upon the promise for that day in a brief devotion. I have been blessed time and again to be reminded of God's precious promises though this devotional. 

**********************************************************

Below is the reading for December 28th:

Absolute Assurance 
"He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee"   (Hebrews 13:5).

Several times in the Scriptures the LORD hath said this. He has often repeated it to make our assurance doubly sure. Let us never harbor a doubt about it. In itself the promise is specially emphatic. In the Greek it has five negatives, each one definitely shutting out the possibility of the LORD's ever leaving one of His people so that he can justly feel forsaken of his God. This priceless Scripture does not promise us exemption from trouble, but it does secure us against desertion. We may be called to traverse strange ways, but we shall always have our LORD's company, assistance, and provision. We need not covet money, for we shall always have our God, and God is better than gold; His favor is better than fortune. 

 

We ought surely to be content with such things as we have, for he who has God has more than all the world besides. What can we have beyond the Infinite? What more can we desire than almighty Goodness. 

 

Come, my heart; if God says He will never leave thee nor forsake thee, be thou much in prayer for grace that thou mayest never leave thy LORD, nor even for a moment forsake His ways. 

************************************************************


As the new year approaches it is good to remember God's goodness and His promises through His Word. If you are considering a new daily devotional for 2021 I would highly recommend Faith's Checkbook


"As for God, His way is perfect; The word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him."

Psalm 18:30

17 comments:

  1. "...remember God's goodness"

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dear Sarah, I have also loved this devotional for years, I even just this year got a copy for my Husband! I do wish you a Happy New Year... Always, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roxy. May you have a blessed New Year!

      Delete
  3. QUERIDA SARA: QUE HERMOSAS PALABRAS, SABEMOS QUE DIOS NO DESAMPARA A SU PUEBLO Y NUNCA LO DEJARA, SOMOS SUS HIJOS Y EL ES NUESTRO PADRE, ¿QUE PADRE ABANDONA A SU HIJO? PODEMOS ESTAR CONFIADOS EN EL SEÑOR, EL ES NUESTRO AMPARO Y NUESTRA FORTALEZA, NUESTRO PRONTO AUXILIO EN LAS TRIBULACIONES. DECEO QUE TENGAS TU Y TU FAMILIA, UN MUY BENDECIDO 2021, QUE DIOS SIGA DERRAMANDO ABUNDANTES RIQUEZAS EN GLORIA. SI PASAS POR MI BLOG, VERAS MIS ULTIMOS TRABAJOS QUE HICE PARA REGALAR A MI HERMOSA FAMILIA. BENDICIONES A LA DISTANCIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana. May the Lord bless and keep you and your family!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year to you and Adam and Jemimah!

    I have Faith's Checkbook on my Kindle and though I don't read it every day, I do check in often. Whenever I do, I am always blessed by his wisdom. I, too, heartily recommend this devotional. Another little volume of his that I dip into a bit more often is entitled Daily Help.

    God bless you this coming year with all God's favor and a constant knowledge of His presence. Abide! That is "my word" for 2021. For without Him, I can do or be nothing.

    Sending you a grateful hug across the icy, snowy miles this pristine and hoped-filled day! Thank you for the lovely example of godly homemaking and motherhood you share on your blog. I always look forward to your posts.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lori! I love your word for the year. May the Lord bless you in the New Year!

      Thank you for your devotion recommendation. I so enjoy Spurgeon's writings and had not heard of "Daily Help" before.

      Thank you for being such a kind friend!

      Sarah

      Delete
  5. I enjoy it when you do book reviews. I always learn something new and add to my list of books to keep an eye out for when out thrifting! Happy new year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A most excellent reminder for these trying times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I just found your blog! I can't believe this is the first I am hearing of that Spurgeon title! I'm going to have to order a copy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the timely word. You have a sweet little blog and I am going to take a look around. It's a cold and snowy day here in Missouri.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sarah,
    I hope you and your family are well. I do miss your posts and hope you will be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sarah,

    It is boiling hot and sunny in the regional part of Australia where I live. The reason why this post interested me is that I am looking for a new daily devotional. I have enjoyed Streams in the Desert and My Utmost for His Highest but I want to try something new. I am happy to take your recommendation and I liked the writing of Spurgeon that the author had included in Streams in the Desert. I hope your family are all well and healthy. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cate! I hope you will be blessed by "Faith's Checkbook" as much as I have been. "Streams in the Desert" is one of my favorite devotionals too!

      Delete