Friday, August 28, 2020

August


This bouquet of flowers came from our wildflower garden.

August has been a busy month of gardening, canning, home improvements and beginning our homeschool year. It feels as though we have accomplished a great over the past few weeks.

We have been so pleased, blessed and grateful with the success of our garden this year. Adam tripled the size of our patch dedicated to growing corn, and it was wonderful to enjoy homegrown sweet corn so often this summer. We even had enough corn that I was able to freeze several quarts for the winter ahead.

Adam has compiled a collection of  garden pictures that we hope to share in a post here soon. As you can see from the picture above Adam grew almost everything this year! The cantaloupe has been a favorite. The flavor is so sweet and special during the last of these hot summer days.

As I type this I have over a dozen jars of spaghetti sauce and a dozen jars of pepper jelly resting on my kitchen counter - all made with produce from the garden. It is such a joy to know that come winter we will still have a taste of this beautiful summer to enjoy!


Earlier this week I made plum jam. It remains a family favorite. I am always delighted when I am able to find locally grown plums. They are so delicious and they make the perfect jam!

In the evenings I enjoy sitting back with a good book or some handiwork. Currently I am reading Duskin by Grace Livingston Hill. Reading a Grace Livingston Hill book is like meeting with an old friend, some of the situations are similar book to book, but enough is different to be entertaining. The theme of God speaking through His Word is woven throughout Duskin in such a natural and beautiful way. The main character has promised her mother that she will  read her Bible daily while away from home on a business trip. At first she is annoyed by her mother's request, but as the story progresses she realizes that God is using the book of Proverbs to guide and direct her course.

The evenings have been cooler of late and I have been finding some time to knit again. This summer was quite hot, so my knitting sat tucked away until now. The blue yarn is being knit into a cardigan for my daughter. The natural yarn is a scarf.

Earlier this month I canned several quarts of peaches. While I had fresh peaches on hand I made peaches and cream kuchen, a recipe that my grandma shared with me years ago. It is one of Adam's favorites, so much so that I made it twice in one weekend.

Peaches and Cream Kuchen

Crust:

2 cups flour

2 Tbsp. brown sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1/2 butter

Combine flour, sugar, salt  and baking powder. With pastry blender cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Turn mixture into lightly greased 8"x8" pan. Pat firmly against bottom and sides of pan.

3 cups of sliced peaches (fresh, frozen or canned may be used)

 3/4 cup brown sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

Arrange peaches over crust. Combine sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over peaches. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.

Beat 1 cup heavy cream and 2 egg yolks together. Pour over peaches. Bake an additional 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Allow to stand 10 minutes, serves warm. Yum!

My mom, daughter and I visited a lovely greenhouse/farm market one day this month. Jemimah was excited to discover this stunning display of pink petunias. We had to snap a few pictures of her among the flowers.



"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us." Ephesians 3:20

18 comments:

  1. Enjoyed seeing your post! Praise the Lord - such a blessing that your garden did so well! I miss having my own garden as I have been away from home this year and last during the growing seasons. Have been able to help with my sister's garden, but it's not quite the same as doing your own. That is wonderful you have been able to can your extra fruits and vegetables - it's always so rewarding to see the pretty jars lined up in the pantry. :)

    The Peaches and Cream Kuchen recipe sounds delicious! I hope to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment. Yes, it is such a blessing! I hope you will enjoy the Peaches and Cream Kuchen, it is a favorite recipe that I make every year.

      Delete
  2. Good morning Sarah,
    It was such a blessing to find a post from you this morning. Your writing and pictures always give me inspiration. I’m glad your garden did so well this year. Beautiful picture of Jemimah with the flowers. I can’t believe how big she got since I last saw a picture of her. My niece will be three soon and she too seems so much older than just a few months ago. I just got out your molasses crinkle cookie recipe and will be making those soon. One of my favorite recipes! We are starting to get a few glimpses of fall here and I love making those cookies. Makes the house smell so good.
    God bless you and your family,
    Lorri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lorri! Your comments always bless my day. I am so glad that you are enjoying the molasses crinkle cookie recipe. I think I will have to make some soon! I've just begun to notice the leaves changing on some of our trees, and it has put me in an autumnal mood too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    What a beautiful post, I so look forward to them, your posts always brighten my day.
    I too have begun thinking of autumn, it is such a beautiful time of year isn't it?
    I'm looking forward to it:) (pumpkins, and scarecrows and hayrides:):):) )
    Blessings.
    Tia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tia! Yes, this is a beautiful time of year! I am looking forward to picking grapes and apples next month.

      Delete
  4. Such beautiful homemaking scenes... what an abundant harvest ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  5. The petunias are stunning, and how lovely to see Jemima sitting amongst them. She is certainly growing up into a pretty young lady.
    Garden produce is so rewarding. I am busy with my tomatoes and apples, lots for the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it is a blessing to enjoy the summer produce during the winter. I hope to can applesauce sometime in September.

      Delete
  6. Your garden was indeed a blessing. Ours was too this year 😊
    Jemimah has grown so much! Beautiful photo!
    I haven’t read that GLH book. I’ll have to see if my church library has that one !
    God bless,
    Anne ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne! I have enjoyed reading "Duskin". I hope you can find it at your library. : )

      Delete
  7. QUE LINDO VOLVER A LEER TUS PUBLICACIONES SARAH, ME ENCANTA TODO LO QUE HAS PODIDO RECOGER DE TU JARDIN, SON TANTAS BENDICIONES JUNTOS, QUE DIOS TAN FIEL QUE TENEMOS. TU HIJA ESTA CRECIENDO RAPIDO, SE VE TAN BELLA Y FRESCA, ESPERO QUE PRONTO VUELVAS A PUBLICAR. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana! Yes, God is so faithful and good! : )

      Delete
  8. How I love to read through your post and see the lovely things you have been doing to provide and care for your family! What a beautiful garden your husband has been tending this year, it all looks and sounds delicious! I love the vase of flowers in the first picture...those random beauties come to grace your table! I love doing that in my home to. I just love to hear the ping of the jars as they seal...I'm sure your pantry is looking lovely! The knitting...it is good for cooler days, and I'm sure those items will be much appreciated when the cold weather arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! I agree the sound of a canning jar sealing is one of my favorites sounds too. : )

      Delete
  9. I started reading Grace Livingston Hill books because of all your reviews over the years, and every time I run across a vintage copy I think of you! So far, Happiness Hill is my favorite. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to know that you are enjoying Grace Livingston Hill's books. "Happiness Hill" is one of my favorites too. : )

      Delete