Friday, July 31, 2020

Sour Cream Berry Pie Recipe

During the summer months I love to enjoy the fresh fruits of the season through pies. Recently I had used some black raspberries for jam and didn't have quite enough left over to make a pie with, but still wanted to incorporate them into my baking. Then I remembered reading a recipe for a sour cream berry pie in the Mennonite Community Cookbook. It seemed a somewhat unusual recipe and at first I was hesitant to give it a try. My curiosity got the better of me! Sour cream berry pie is a recipe I will keep on hand to bake often since it doesn't require as much fruit as a classic fruit pie. The texture is delicious and I found that the berries were still the main flavor of the pie.

Sour Cream Berry Pie:
2 1/2 cups elderberries or blackberries*
1 cup sugar**
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup sour cream
Pastry for 1 (9 inch) crust

Wash berries and place in an unbaked crust.
Combine sugar and flour.
Add sour cream and blend thoroughly.
Pour mixture over fruit.
Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 30 minutes.

*I used 3 heaping cups of black raspberries.
**I used 3/4 cup of sugar. My berries were quite sweet and I felt an entire cup would be too much.
I look forward to baking this pie recipe again using different berries. I think red raspberries would be wonderful. Come September I hope to make the elderberry variation too!

 This recipe can be found in the Mennonite Community Cookbook. I purchased the 65th Anniversary Edition a couple of years ago. It is a lovely cookbook. Some of the recipes are a bit more old-fashioned than what I would typically cook, but there are still many that are timeless and delicious!

What new recipes are you enjoying this summer?


10 comments:

  1. I have that cookbook and I just love it. I made ice cream for the first time. Came out really nice. I also made a pizza dough from scratch for the first time this summer and now it's my go to recipe for pizza crust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Regina,

      Thank you for stopping by!Homemade ice cream sounds wonderful!! I love making homemade pizza too. : ) May you have a blessed day!

      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    It looks so delicious! A short time ago I learned that I shouldn't be eating gluten, and it's eliminated so many of the delicious recipes that I'd so much enjoyed making. Reading this brought to my face such a big smile! Thank you always for sharing:)

    Tia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tia,

      Thank you so much for your sweet comment! It blessed my day. : )

      Sarah

      Delete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    Thank you for sharing another lovely post. I will definitely try the pie recipe. My neighbors grow blueberries so I think I will try making it with blueberries. I’m glad your garden is doing so well this year. I’m looking forward to seeing your elderberry harvest. :) God bless you and your family. Thank you for always bringing joy with your posts. Lorri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorri! I think this recipe would be delicious with blueberries! My mom, daughter and I picked blueberries last week. I will have to make this pie with blueberries too. : ) May you have a blessed week!

      Sarah

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this recipe! It came at perfect timing for me, as we had just picked some red raspberries, and I was deciding what to do with them. I made this pie the other night, and everyone enjoyed it! It's so easy to make. I made a couple changes with it myself...one of which was adding a crumb streusel on top since I love crumb toppings. :) Definitely hope to make this again! I might post about it on my blog sometime also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A crumb topping sounds wonderful! Next time I make this recipe I will have to add a crumb topping. Thank you for the suggestion. I will look forward to seeing you post. : )

      Delete
  5. The pie sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe.
    I don't do very much baking in the summer. I want to stay cool in the kitchen. :) I can't think of any new recipes that I have tried this summer. I am planning to try something new soon. I recently read a recipe for Sopes Verdes, which sound delicious and pretty easy. As soon as I get the ingredients I am going to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love pies. :) This is a kind I've never tried before. I love looking through different cookbooks for ideas.

    ReplyDelete