Thursday, February 14, 2019

Frontier Shirt

 Each Christmas I try to make a special gift for Adam. This year I made Adam a Cavalry/Frontier shirt. I have admired this style shirt for gentlemen for quite a while and have dreamed of sewing one for Adam.
Last winter Adam and I watched "Call of the Wild" from 1935. We both really enjoyed the movie, and Adam decided that he must have a shirt like the one Clark Gable and his friend wore in the movie. The shirts worn in the movie were sewn from a thick checked wool. The shirts looked so warm and cozy, just perfect for traveling across Alaska. It seemed the perfect time to sew Adam a square bib shirt.
I was excited to begin work on the shirt, but had a little difficulty finding a pattern, mostly because I didn't know what to call the style. I was delighted when I came across the Folkwear Frontier Shirt Pattern. After more than one failure in making garments for Adam I went forward with this project with much caution. Thankfully I found the pattern to be extremely well designed! All of the pieces went together perfectly and the construction methods recommended by the pattern were perfect.
I love all of the details in the design of this shirt. The front "bib" covers a slit in the front, so the shirt can easily be pulled over the head.
The construction method for the back yoke was terrific and went together with greater ease than I had expected. It looks a bit wrinkled in the picture due to a number of washings and it is flannel. When I make another Frontier shirt for Adam I plan to use wool or at least a wool blend.
I also liked how the v-design from the back yoke was mimicked in the cuff.

Most of all I am so pleased that Adam is enjoying his shirt! He loves to wear it on the weekends while working outside. He says that it more comfortable than wearing a t-shirt and yet keeps him nice and warm. He has even chopped wood while wearing this shirt and claims that it allows him a greater range of arm motion than a typical button up shirt.

12 comments:

  1. You sew beautifully. The shirt is unique. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. QUE BUEN TRABAJO SARA, A TU ESPOSO LE QUEDA MUY BIEN Y SE VE QUE ES ABRIGADA, SOBRETODO DONDE VIVES YA QUE HACE MUCHO FRIO DURANTE EL INVIERNO. CUANDO MI HIJO VARON ERA CHICO, ALREDEDOR DE 3 O 4 AÑOS, LE HICE UNA CAMISA LEÑADORA, LAS TELA ERA A CUADROS, COMO ME GUSTABA, LE QUEDABA TAN LINDA, LAS CAMISAS SON TAN VARONILES, MI ESPOSO SIEMPRE LAS USA, DESTACA AL HOMBRE. ADAN PARECE UN LEÑADOR, COMO CHARLES INGALLS JAJAJAJA. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. You are an expert seamstress, Sarah. And your husband has that cool model look, too. *-P
    Have you seen Past Patterns before? They have interesting era patterns available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks very nice in that style. You did very good sewing.
    Well done!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a handsome shirt you made for your husband, Sarah ~ it looks very nice on him!
    ~ Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful craftsmanship, Sarah; you're an artist with a sewing machine. Thank you for sharing your creation with us. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful job you did, Sarah! Your husband is very blessed! I am always inspired by your lovely blog and the beautiful things you create here. Love in Christ, Mallorie 🌷

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an incredible gifting of love to your husband Sarah! Your craftmanship is amazing! I loved the perfect detailed stitching around the cuffs, and how wonderful that it is such a favorite shirt now for your husband to wear and enjoy! It looks like a labor of love but oh so worth it! Blessings and hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful seamstress you are. That shirt is so dashing and useful to. It is so lovely how you meet the needs of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dear friend, what a sweet gift of love to your husband. The shirt is fabulous and oh, your craftsmanship is truly perfect! I love the style and the buttons are the perfect finishing touch.

    I hope you are well! Sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Missing your writing!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete