Saturday, March 17, 2018
The Workbasket Magazine
Can you figure out the names of the flowers suggested by the following questions? It is interesting to have partners for this game. Choose partners by having a number of seed catalog flowers pasted on cardboard, then cut these in half. Each guest is given one half of each flower and is told to find the matching half of the flower; then these two people are partners to play the game. Each couple is given a written copy of the following story and the first to fill out the form is given a prize.
1. The girl's name and color of her hair? (Marigold)
2. Her nationality and her appearance? (American Beauty)
3. The color of her eyes? (Violet)
4. Her chum's first name and color of her eyes? (Brown-eyed Susan)
5. Her brother's name and adjective that describes her? (Sweet William)
6. How did the girl's admirers surround her? (Phlox)
7.What did they think she was? (A Daisy)
8. Her lover's name and what he wrote with? (John Quill-Jonquil)
9.What did he do when he proposed? (Aster)
10.What minister married them? (Jack-in-the-pulpit)
11.What did she wear in her hair? (Bridal-Wreath)
12. What music was played during the ceremony? (Narcissus)
13. What did she say when she went away? (Forget-me-not)
14. With what did she punish her children? (Lady Slipper)
15. What was the length of their happiness? (Everlasting)
I like the idea of hosting a flower themed party in the winter. It seems like a nice way to think spring and keep hope alive!
I hope you have enjoyed this peek into the pages of The Workbasket. From a quick look on-line it seems that old issues are readily available on Etsy and Ebay. They are fun and sometimes silly, but definitely a sweet glimpse of a bygone day.