Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Sleeve Ironing Board


Before I married and still lived at home with my mom, I had the advantage of using all of her sewing supplies. When I married there where some of her tools I really missed, one of them was mom's sleeve ironing board. A sleeve ironing board is handy for pressing small detail work, but is especially handy for pressing sleeve seams, as the sleeve fits right over the board!



My mom knew that I missed using her sleeve board and decided she would like to give me one for my birthday (which was back in January). She found this challenging as sleeve boards are not commonly available today. JoAnn's had a sort of sleeve board, but it was not very sturdy. Mom's board was purchased back in the '80's and was made of wood. So mom began looking on-line and found this delightful board on ebay! As you can see in the photo above it is wood and has a neat "Handy Ann" stamp. I would guess it may be from the '50's or '60's.


It came with a simple cream cover and no padding, so before presenting me with this lovely gift on my birthday mom made a new cover from calico and added padding.

Soon after my birthday in January I was not feeling up to sewing and did not have a chance to use this wonderful gift for while. But now that I am sewing again I am enjoying my sleeve ironing board immensely! Not only is is functional, it is pretty and vintage!

9 comments:

  1. Dear Sarah, I would love to have one of those little boards! How sweet that your Mother bought you one and then made you a new cover!
    Hope you are doing well and enjoying each step of this journey! Blessings, Roxy
    I just wanted to mention that I am having a lot of trouble trying to read the Word Verification for leaving a comment! I have always had a little trouble, but lately it has become a chore and very frustrating, as I can't read the letters with out a magnify glass! And even then it hasn't worked!
    I am on my second time to get it right.
    Love, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxy,

      Thank you for your kind words! I am feeling great and I am enjoying this special time. The first trimester was pretty rough, but the LORD brought me through. : )

      I thought I had disabled the Word Verification setting, so thank you for letting me know. I have disabled it now. I agree it is hard to read the letters.

      May you have a blessed day!

      -Sarah

      Delete
  2. What a sweet gift from your mom. I can see how it would be very handy when sewing. My sewing room is upstairs, and this would save me hauling up my regular board and/or many trips downstairs to iron something I'm working on. I'll have to see if I can find one of these. :-)
    Good to hear you're feeling better. :-)
    Blessings,
    Anne ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet, Sarah! The fabric is so pretty and spring like .:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well isn't this handy :) Your mom is a sweetheart! Have a beautiful rest of your week, lovely lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a perfect addition to the sewing room this is! What a sweet gift from your mom and so beautifully covered too:-).

    Love,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen a wooden board like this - what a great and useful gift from your mother:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this great blog.Very inspiring and helpful too.Hope you continue to share more of your ideas.I will definitely love to read. best-ironing-boards

    ReplyDelete