Friday, December 20, 2013

Frosted Butter Cookies




We have been baking these delicately delicious cut-out cookies since we discovered the recipe in a Christmas cookbook a little over 10 years ago. They are always a favorite each Christmas with family and friends. I made a batch earlier this week and plan to bake more over the weekend.

 Frosted Butter Cookies:

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 egg yolks
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. orange juice
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions: In a large bowl cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks; beat until light and fluffy. Add flour, baking powder, orange juice and vanilla; beat until well mixed. Cover refrigerate 2-3 hours or until firm.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out dough, half at a time, to 1/4 inch thickness on well floured surface. Cut out with cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 6-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool completely. After cookies are cooled frost.

Frosting:
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
3-4 tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla

4 comments:

  1. Yum...Sarah! Tell me, what are you knitting from the picture in your header? :-) m.b.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria,

      I am knitting a shawl in the photo. It is a great pattern as it is knit on circular needles and increases with each row to create the nice triangular shape.

      May you have a blessed Christmas!

      -Sarah

      Delete
  2. What sweet, delicious looking cookies!! Almost too pretty to eat- I love the colorful sugar on top. I have been looking for great sugar cookie recipes. I would love to try yours. I need to put orange juice on our grocery list now :)

    I hope you have a most wonderful weekend, Sarah!

    Blessings and hugs,
    Jazzmin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost too pretty to eat...almost :) My husband loves butter cookies and I make them often, but I must admit that I have never frosted them and he LOVES frosting so thank you for sharing. I would love to try your yummy recipe sometime soon.

    Thank you for the lovely Christmas wishes on my blog and may you, sweet Sarah, have a very joyous and blessed Christmas! I am so glad we met through blogging! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete