Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pecan Pumpkin Pie


Over the weekend I baked a pecan pumpkin pie using a recipe I found in my sister's "Better Home and Gardens Cookbook". I made homemade whipped cream to top the pie with; in addition to adding vanilla and a little confectionary sugar to my whipped cream I added about a teaspoon of maple flavored extract. I thought it was a nice addition to the autumnal flavor.


Ingredients 
1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped pecans, walnuts, or hazelnuts
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 15 ounce can pumpkin
  • 1 1/2 cups half-and-half or light cream or one 12-ounce can evaporated milk
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • pie shell

  • Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pie Pastry. Mix pecans and brown sugar in small bowl; place 3/4 cup pecan mixture in bottom of pie shell. Reserve remaining pecan mixture for topping. Combine pumpkin, half-and-half, granulated sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in large bowl; mix well. Pour into prepared pie shell.
    2. Bake for 50 minutes or until just set in center. Add butter to remaining pecan mixture; stir until moistened. Sprinkle pie filling with pecan mixture; bake for 10 minutes more or until topping bubbles around edges. Cool on wire rack.
    3. Makes 8 slices.

    1 comment:

    1. That pie looks so yummy! I wish our oven wasn't broke!
      I award you http://anathomedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/10/liebster-award-tag-your-it.html

      Have fun!
      Kimberly

      ReplyDelete