Saturday, February 24, 2024

Recent Knitting and Reading

So far winter has been milder than what we are used to in upstate New York, but for those chilly mornings and evening we have enjoyed the cozy warmth provided by our hot water bottles. I must admit that for too long I have wrapped my hot water bottle in a hand towel. It had been on my "to do" list to either sew or knit a cover for a long time and this year I finally did.

I found a few free knitting patterns on-line that I liked, but there were elements of each that I preferred. Some had a bottom opening with buttons while others were actually knit around the hot water bottle. Also the yarn weight varied from sock yarn to super bulky. I ended up borrowing ideas from the patterns I liked best and implemented my favorite features into my own cover.

It had been a very long time since I had done any cable knitting and I found it an enjoyable part of the knitting process. I also was pleased to find these wooden buttons in my button box. I thought they were a nice finishing touch.


Another recent knitting project was this little cardigan sweater for my daughter's doll. It was such fun to knit, and quick too! I am hoping to knit a couple more before my nieces' birthdays.

Earlier this month I read The Blythe Girls: Helen's Strange Boarder. It was a truly delightful read! I discovered the Blythe Girls series in a box of books I purchased from an auction a couple of years back. The stories are about three sisters living on their own during the 1920's. They seem to always coming against unusual predicaments, and occasionally a mystery. I enjoy the 1920's vernacular and the different personalities of the three sisters. They are a fun look at 100 years ago.

 

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I am hoping to once again share here on my blog as time allows. May you have a blessed week!


11 comments:

  1. HOLA SARA, ME ALEGRO QUE PUBLIQUES NUEVAMENTE¡¡¡¡¡ ME ENCANTAN TUS TEJIDOS, ESPERO QUE TENGAS CONTINUIDAD EN LAS PUBLICACIONES PERO ME DELEITO LEYENDO DESDE TUS COMIENZOS EN EL BLOG HALLA LEJOS Y HACE TIEMPO. BENDICIONES PARA TODA LA FAMILIA. SOY ANA DEL BLOG SIRVIENDO AL SEÑOR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana! I am glad to know that you have been enjoying my old blog posts. : )

      Delete
  2. So happy to hear from you and that you will be posting more often! Your knitting is lovely- I bet Jemimah is getting so big! Always appreciate your book reviews. Never heard of these. Will have to check out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela! Yes, Jemimah is 9 now. How time flies!

      Delete
  3. Your knitting projects are amazing, especially the tiny doll sweater!💜. Happy your back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so nice to see a new post from you! I enjoyed seeing your knitting projects. The bottle covers and doll sweater look so pretty. It makes me feel like pulling out a project to knit also. : ) I am taking a break from blogging myself currently...but am glad you're back! I hope to return to my blog also eventually, but not sure how soon just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! This time of year is perfect for knitting. I will look forward to when you post again. I always enjoyed your encouraging posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sarah,
    It is so good to read an update. I have thought about knitting hot water bottle covers, but haven't taken the plunge yet. Perhaps they would make a good Christmas gift to knit next year instead of socks for everyone. With four men in my life with size 13 feet and one with size 12, that might save me a lot of time!!!
    That little sweater is so pretty. I miss the days of making doll clothes. I have a grandson now, but no more girls in the family yet. Maybe I should make some for Grandma's hope chest!
    Be blessed,
    Laura Lane
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  7. So delighted to see you back!!! I've checked many, many times these past years as I love your sweet home life. Greetings from New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so nice to find that you are posting to your blog again! I appreciate the new book recommendations!

    ReplyDelete