Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Butternut Squash Soup and Bread Dressing Recipes

I found this turkey platter at a barn sale a few years back. I love the colors.
As we prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving this week I thought I would share two recipes that we have enjoyed lately. I think both recipes would be a nice addition to a Thanksgiving meal.
We were blessed with a fine harvest of squash in our garden this year. Butternut squash soup is one of my favorite soups and up until this year I had yet to find a recipe that I really liked. Earlier this fall I found a recipe online that was very close to what I was looking for, but there were a few changes I made to make the recipe exactly what I thought butternut squash soup should taste like.
The recipe for the soup is fairly simple, but truly delicious!

Butternut Squash Soup

Cut one large butternut squash (about three pounds) in half. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil. Then bake in the oven at 425 degrees for about an hour or until tender. Once you have removed the squash from the oven allow it to cool, once cool remove the skin.
Saute one small onion in olive oil, once translucent add two cloves of minced garlic. After a minute add 2-4 cups of chicken broth. The amount of broth will depend upon the size of your squash and how thick you would like your soup to be. I typically add 4 cups. Allow the onions, garlic and broth to simmer until vegetables are tender.

Add squash in chunks to broth mixture. The next step is to puree the soup. For this step I use my blender, but you could you an immersion blender. If using a blender I recommend blending the soup in two batches so as not to over fill your blender.

Once your soup has reached the desired consistency return soup to sauce pan and add two tablespoons of maple syrup and two tablespoons of butter. You can add some salt and pepper to taste as well.
Miranda is my supper time companion every night. She loves to sit in the window beside me and patiently wait for a little treat. Surprisingly enough Miranda even likes butternut squash soup! She is a unique cat.
Adam's favorite Thanksgiving dish is bread dressing. I realize the picture of dressing doesn't look all that appetizing, but I snapped a picture before baking the dressing. I knew that once it was baked I wouldn't have time to take a picture. : )

 Bread Dressing

1/2 cup butter
3 cups chopped celery
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
14-16 cups bread cubes (I used sourdough and Italian bread that was slightly stale)
2-3 tsp. sage
1 tsp. salt*
1/2 tsp. pepper
3-4 cups broth (enough to moisten the bread)

Saute onions and celery in butter. Add broth, simmer until onions and celery are tender. Toss sage, salt and pepper with bread cubes. Add broth mixture to bread cubes. If necessary you can add additional broth if bread cubes are still too dry. At this point I usually have Adam taste test in case I need any extra salt or sage.
*I would recommend starting with 1/2 tsp. of salt and then adding more if needed. Sometimes the broth can be too salty and this can create a dressing that is too salty.

Bake in a well buttered 9x13" baking pan at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until crispy and golden.

Another recipe I make each Thanksgiving, and pretty much every holiday, is coleslaw. I shared this recipe a couple of years ago and thought I would add a link for those who may have missed that post.
****************************************************************************
https://www.etsy.com/listing/738662716/red-and-green-calico-vintage-style-apron?ref=hp_rv-3&pro=1
Starting today I am offering 10% off all of the items in my Etsy shop. The sale runs through December 3rd. If you are looking for a Christmas present for a friend or family member please consider taking a look at the items I am offering.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/752531407/turquoise-calico-vintage-inspired-apron?ref=hp_rv-1&pro=1
*****************************************************************************
I hope you all enjoy a blessed and beautiful Thanksgiving! Is there a special family favorite recipe you plan to prepare this year?

"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." Psalm 100

5 comments:

  1. It was so nice to come across your lovely blog today! May the Lord bless you and your family with a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DEAR SARA: AUNQUE AQUI EN ARGENTINA NO CELEBRAMOS EL DIA DE ACCION DE GRACIAS, TE DESEO UN MUY BENDECIDO DIA PARA TODA TU FAMILIA, QUE EL SEÑOR DERRAME ABUNDANTE BENDICIONES SOBRE TODOS USTEDES. A MI ME GUSTA DAR GRACIAS EN LA CENA DE AÑO NUEVO, CADA UNO EXPRESA SU GRATITUD AL SEÑOR, TODOS JUNTOS Y EN FAMILIA DAMOS GRACIAS EL ULTIMO DIA DEL AÑO. BENDICIONES¡¡¡¡¡¡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I love reading about your meals and how you do things. What beautiful squash you grew in your garden! Love your dinner time companion. I have a dog that likes to stay around my feet. Praise God for He is God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to apologize that I am one of those blog readers that does not always get around to leaving a comment. :) I always look forward to seeing new posts from you on here - I share many of the same interests in vintage things, sewing, knitting, etc. I love butternut squash, but have never tried a soup recipe with it. Your cat looks sweet...we have a black cat named Max, who loves to curl up on the footstool of my mom's chair. He seems to claim her as the favorite in the family. :) Anyway, just wanted to thank you for your posts on here - it is a pleasure to read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment! It truly made my day. : ) May the Lord bless you in the New Year!

      Delete