Sunday, December 10, 2017

Recent Sewing

 Today I thought I would share a couple of the dresses I recently sewed for my little girl. I took these pictures last month, hence the turkey on the side board. ; ) As I have mentioned before every fall my sister Rachel hosts a German dinner at her home and the children wear dirndls or lederhosen. 

The dirndl/jumper pattern is one that my mom and I designed years ago.The blouse pattern is one the I purchased from Puperita. This was my second time sewing this blouse. It is such a sweet little blouse pattern! I love the gathers and binding.
This time I decided to make the dirndl extra special by adding some additional embroidery. The embroidery along the seam edges was done by chain stitching and then alternating between each chain with a french knot. It was a little time consuming, but I was pleased with the finished results. Embroidering the dirndls is my favorite part.
 This peter pan collar dress has probably been the most useful addition to her wardrobe this season. I found the fabric at a local Mennonite fabric shop and just love it! The pattern used to sew this dress was Butterick 6084.
It is a fast and easy pattern. In fact I have sewn another dress using this pattern this week. However this time I eliminated the collar and added trim to the neckline.
 This particular dress did not fit the dress form, it was a little too small. The dress looks far better on my little girl. I purchased this pattern from Puperita as well.
I really like the raised and rounded design of the yoke. This dress looks adorable with leggings. I know that this is a pattern I will sew time and again!
And to finish this post I will share a little knitting! I knitted this pair of mittens using a pattern from the Lion Brand book Irresistibly Snuggly. Jemimah is especially pleased with her new mittens. One of her favorite books at the moment is The Three Little Kittens. In fact she often quotes lines of the story while wearing her mittens. : )

I hope you are all enjoying a beautiful start to the Christmas season. We are enjoying the light dusting of snow that has fallen here today. It definitely is a pleasure to see this time of year.

"I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken."
                                                     
Psalm 16:8

10 comments:

  1. I enjoy the posts that show your sewing. Many years ago, before my family grew to seven children (all adults now), I had such fun making calico dresses with Peter Pan collars for my first daughter. She is now the mother of five herself. Each time of life is special and this is a reminder of that. I really appreciate your fine work, Sara. Excellent. Blessed advent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my... what gorgeous dresses. Your daughter will look adorable
    Amen to your scripture
    Blessings
    Phoebe x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you've found time to make lovely things for your daughter. Unfortunately, when my girls were little, I didn't find/make enough time to sew for them. I hope to if God should give me granddaughters someday.
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dresses look so European. I remember being in Austria over the Winter and seeing little girls in their pretty dirndl dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. QUE HERMOSOS VESTIDOS SARAH, LA PEQUEÑA SE VERA MUY HERMOSA CON ELLOS, ESPERO QUE PUEDAS PUBLICAR FOTOS DE ELLA USANDOLOS. CUANDO MIS HIJAS MAYORES , AHORA CASADAS, ERAN PEQUEÑAS, LES HACIA VESTIDOS Y LES TEJIA, MITONES, GORROS, BUFANDAS, AHORA LES TOCA EL TURNO A MIS NIETAS, AQUI ES VERANO Y ESTOY HACIENDO VESTIDITOS DE TELAS LIVIANAS Y CON LINDOS COLORES. ESPERANDO QUE PUBLIQUES NUEVAMENTE. RECIBE BENDICIONES DESDE BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sewing is so beautiful. What a blessing for your daughter to wear those beautiful dresses, fashioned by the hands of her loving mama.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dresses you sewed are very lovely, Sarah. How special for you to make them for your little girl...and the mittens, too!
    Many blessings to you and your family ~
    With love,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can just imagine what fun and delight your sister's dinner must be to attend! I believe I first saw dirndls on your blog and have since seen more on pinterest and love the style. Your sewing is pure beauty and so lovely, from style to fabrics... truly so lovely! I'm sure your little girl must look just precious in them, as well as in those perfect little mittens. I love the color you chose and the darling photograph of them on the book.
    Thank you so much for your notes/comments that always bring a smile to my face and are a joy to read... Wishing you a most blessed and joyous Christmas and start to your new year!!♥

    Hugs to you!
    Jazzmin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found this post again. It reminded me of when I learned to make mittens for my children. I made mittens for my three little kittens.
    http://harvestlanecottage.blogspot.com/2010/11/mittens-for-kittens-progress.html

    ReplyDelete