Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Vintage Smocked Baby Dress

 Recently my mom and I spent a lovely afternoon visiting some antique shops in a nearby small town. While browsing one shop my mom came across a rack of vintage baby clothes. They were so delicate and lovely! Little embroidered slips and dresses, mom had a hard time deciding which she liked best. But this sweet little smocked dress finally won as a favorite with us both. Mom said she had to purchase it for me as inspiration. : ) I enjoy smocking, but it is one of my hobbies I haven't kept up with, I am sure that will change soon!
Isn't it just precious?! I love all of the details, the delicate lace on the collar, placket and sleeves. The smocking is so pretty, as are the rose bullion stitches! I must say it does inspire me to smock again.

The lady at the shop guessed that the dress dated somewhere around the 1930's or 1940's.
I was very taken with the scalloped hem. The dress appears to be completely hand sewn.
And completely french seamed. It will certainly be a joy to see our baby girl in this little dress!

8 comments:

  1. It's just adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sarah, this is just too precious for words! A lovely find for a lovely little girl :) Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how very lovely! I love smocked baby dresses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How precious! These are the type of dresses I put my little one in... She is not so little anymore :) Enjoy your little bundle when she comes, it is such a short season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet! What a precious little dress for your precious daughter. It is so delicate and lovely.
    I can imagine how much fun you are having picking out fun dresses for your little girl.

    I hope you have a blessed weekend, my friend!

    Hugs to you♥
    Jazzmin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used these for my daughter who's now 16! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete