Thursday, July 31, 2014

Diaper Covers

 Back in January when I found out that we were expecting I purchased this diaper cover pattern offered by Green Pepper. I tucked it away for a few months, but then recently while shopping at JoAnn's I became re-inspired when I discovered their sweet little section of diapering patterns and fabric. I couldn't resist this package of super girly PUL fabric; to be honest I think the cupcake fabric sold me. : ) In the future I will probably sew the covers from solid white PUL as it is more cost efficient and sensible to wear beneath light color baby outfits, but still these three fabrics were fun to work with.
I lined the covers with flannel, as I had read somewhere that flannel made a good liner. Any suggestions on fabric for lining diaper covers?
 Several patterns I have found recommend using snaps, but this pattern suggested velcro. The velcro used on the exterior is the soft side and spans the entire front of the diaper so you can adjust the fit of the diaper as your baby grows.
One construction feature I found to be interesting was how the elastic was attached. In the past I have always created a casing and then pulled the elastic through the casing. This pattern recommended that you stitch the elastic directly to the seam allowance with a zig-zag stitch pulling as you sew. Then you pull the cover right side out and top stitch around the elastic sections, once again pulling as you go. It was a lot easier than I thought it might be, and I was pleased with the results.
Overall it was a fun, easy, and quick project. I look forward to purchasing some white PUL fabric next time I visit JoAnn's, as I hope to have a nice little collection of covers to accompany the fabric diapers we have purchased. But most of all I am looking forward to the dear little girl who will be wearing them!

10 comments:

  1. These are adorable, Sarah! And the look soft to the touch :) You have been in my thoughts and prayers as you get closer to your due date, sweet friend.

    Have a happy weekend! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all are so cute. I really like the one with the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job. My daughter uses cloth and diaper covers. She purchased them though. Unfortunately she still rebels a little at sewing. I always get called to do it. You did a wonderful job. Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed visiting you I am following you now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing I forgot to tell you I love your blog name! Very sweet. Smiles, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry! My mom used cloth diapers when my sisters and I were babies, so I have been excited to do the same. : )

      -Sarah

      Delete
  5. Dear Sarah, How very cute: and really a cupcake bottom...
    Loved seeing this post! How are you? I am so excited for your sweet little girl will be in your arms soon! It has been a lovely summer! Growing and enjoying so many things! How is Adam doing? Miss visiting with you! Let us know when we can PTL with the news...
    Always, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxy,

      I hope you are having a lovely summer too! Adam and I are both doing great, keeping very busy as we prepare for the baby. Adam just finished his work in the baby's room, it is looking lovely. My due date is September 17th, so not too much longer to go. : )

      -Sarah

      Delete
  6. These are so soft and sweet and precious! I am sure you can't wait to see them filled with a tiny tummy and little legs poking out :)

    P.S. Thank you also for sharing your sewing project on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah,
    I left a comment on the 1st, but I don't think it went through.
    These are great diaper covers! You did a wonderful job with them. When I was having my children, all that was available were Gerber plastic covers. I've seen these recently, and they are so much nicer, cooler and softer. It's so nice to hear of a young mother using cloth diapers too. They are so much better against the babies skin. I think you will have a very happy, comfortable baby. :-) I love the butterfly pattern too.
    Blessings, ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne! My mom used the Gerber plastic covers too. It is fun, and sometimes a little overwhelming, to see all the option there are for cloth diapering today. I hope to try a couple different ideas and then see what works best for us.

      -Sarah

      Delete