Saturday, May 20, 2017

Woodland Dress

Back in January I discovered this charming woodland themed fabric at JoAnn's. Instantly my mind went to work trying to decide what I should sew. At first I only purchased a half yard to sew Jemimah a little pillowcase. She was absolutely delighted with the fabric too. Once I had sewn the pillowcase Jemimah then carried her pillow about the house hugging it and talking about the sweet little "critters" on the fabric. : )
On one of my more recent trips to JoAnn Fabrics, I could not resist purchasing more of our favorite woodland fabric to sew a garment for Jemimah. My first thought was a jumper, but I then decided it would make a sweet dress.

The pattern I used to sew this dress was New Look 6309. It is a simple classic pattern, just right for embellishing with embroidery and piping.
I always enjoy rummaging through my embroidery thread to find just the perfect colors to accent a fabric. I was also pleased to find pale lavender piping, it saves time not to have to make my own.
I added piping to the sleeves and I had a hard time deciding which animals to center on the sleeves! There is a fox centered on the other sleeve.
Jemimah loves to study the fabric and point out her favorite animals. She is especially fond of deer and bunnies right now.
To finish the dress I added blue flower buttons to the back. The pattern called for a zipper, but I prefer buttons. The dress as I sewed it is a size 3, Jemimah is 2 1/2 years old. The ties help with the fit, but I can see she will be able to wear this dress again next year as it is a bit big and I also made it extra long.

Spring dresses are my favorite to sew. Already I have sewn a couple, and almost everyday as I work on my orders Jemimah will ask if I am sewing her a new dress! I try to explain what I am working on and she will seem a little disappointed. I must admit I am blessed to know she enjoys the dresses I sew, because I sure do love to sew for her! : )

15 comments:

  1. Lovely fabric the dress looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a charming little dress, so very traditional. I used to make the same type for my grandaughter (now 28!). You certainly found some pretty fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just such a sweet dress. I can see why your Jemimah would love it. Love the classic style. It so nice that little ones love what their mommas make for them. Enjoy her while you can, before long she will be all grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely dress. Your work is exquisite. I'm trying to learn how to sew mid life and wish I learned earlier. I can sew peasant dresses for my 2 yr old daughter and it makes me so happy to be able to do that for her. Your work is indeed inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, Sarah, that dress is just adorable! I love the print, and the lace, piping,embroidery, and buttons are perfect! I love that style with the peter pan collar. :-) Beautiful work! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so lovely, Sarah! I've seen that fabric at JoAnn's, and never imagined it as a dress -- it's perfect! How sweet that Jemimah loves it so much (and also that she'll get plenty of wear from it). The piping, trim, and embroidery are the perfect touch.

    Cheers,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is absolutely the most precious little dress, dear Sarah! What darling fabric...and I am sure Jemimah looks like a perfect angel in it! You sew so very beautifully... Wonderful to stop by for a sweet visit with you...lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful dress! That fabric is delightful and I love the details and embellishments you added!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh. my. word. That dress is just SWEET.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress is so pretty, I wish I could sew like you. It's so wonderful that your little girl loves the dresses you sew.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is positively adorable!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable, and beautifully sewn! I am new to your blog, and feel like I have discovered a sweet lady with seamstress abilities. How very thoughtful your little flowers are stitched on the collar. Thank you too for great photography. Will be back to enjoy seeing more of your creations!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwww, she is so sweet. I agree with the consensus, the dress is absolutely adorable! I especially love the embroidered accents. You are a very talented seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore everything about that dress. It is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete