Monday, November 10, 2014

Jemimah's First Dirndl

 Every October my sister Rachel hosts an Oktoberfest dinner at her home. Rachel is a terrific cook, and with our German background on my mom's side, preparing a German feast seems to come naturally to Rachel. It is an event we anticipate each year!

This year we were all hoping to dress in German attire, but with time limitations we were only able to sew outfits for the little ones. I sewed Jemimah her first little embroidered dirndl.

For years now my mom has been sewing German inspired outfits for our business. We had designed patterns for girls' sizes over the years, but did not have one small enough for a newborn. Adam suggested I might use my doll pattern, and maybe he had a good suggestion! : )

I decided to design my own pattern by drawing out the pattern shapes, but in scale with a newborn jumper pattern I had on hand. It ended up being too big, but I know she will eventually grow into it.

I hand embroidered the inset, but was unable to get a good close-up. It was fun to use the colors from the skirts calico in the embroidery.

And here is a photo of my mom, with my nephew Micah wearing the lederhosen that mom designed and sewed. They were adorable, but it is really hard to take a photo of a two year old!

13 comments:

  1. It is so cute! :) So is Jemimah:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello.She is just precious! I would love to have a dinner like that! I guess I will just have to make Thanksgiving a double blessing to all! What a happy memory and a family tradition! Happy November to you; Just beware your sweetie will be TWO before you can blink, better get some practice in on those quick moving two year olds! Love, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dirndl is lovely! And Jemimah is the cutest. baby. ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sarah, she is so cute and precious!! Her smile is contagious :)

    The dress you made her is amazing and looks so sweet on her. Hugs to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh such a beautiful little outfit, you are very talented.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Precious Jemimah! It is the most handsome with his trajecito. Sarah you are an artist with the needle. That God blesses all. An embrace. Mari Carmen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dirndl is so cute, lovely work, Sarah, and she looks so sweet in it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah,
    She is just a doll! I love her little dress. What a fun German dinner and festivities you had. Yes, two year old's are near impossible to take pictures of. I think its even harder when they are older, at least it is for my 3 boys. They see a camera and they run!

    I hope you have a lovely day!

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness Sarah, she is just precious! and you have done an amazing job on her first outfit! I know that you are going to continue to sew and sew for her as she continues to grow :0) thank you so much for sharing her lovely picture with us... mari

    ReplyDelete
  10. How darling! I love the outfit and I love the culture you are sharing with your daughter. Thank you for linking this up with the Art of Home-Making Mondays too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! What a sweetie she is, Sarah:). And look how quickly she has grown! Aw! You did a beautiful job of her little dress - what a blessed baby girl she is to have her Momma sew such adorable things for her! Enjoy her! Love and hugs, Kelly xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I found your blog through Lacy Crochet's blog. Looking forward to following your posts. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. Heather

    ReplyDelete