Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Zucchini Tomato Casserole

This year our garden has proven to be quite successful despite the dry summer we have had. This morning I picked a few beautiful zucchinis and several tomatoes, just perfect for this casserole! I love to serve zucchini tomato casserole as the main dish with other garden fresh veggies on the side, however this would be terrific as a side dish too.

Zucchini Tomato Casserole
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  •   2-3 zucchini, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup butter, divided
  • 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
  •   1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
Directions:
  1. In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside. In a large skillet, saute zucchini and some of the chopped onion in 1 tablespoon of butter until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Arrange the zucchini in a greased deep dish pie plate; sprinkle with half of the cheese mixture. Top with tomatoes and remaining cheese mixture.
  2. In a saucepan, saute rest onion in remaining butter until tender; add bread crumbs and toss to combine. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings   
 *Note I usually use my food processor to slice the zucchini and shred the cheese and onion, making this a super quick and easy recipe.
My ideal summer dinner- zucchini, tomatoes, cucumber and green beans all fresh from the garden! The LORD is so good!

I hope you are enjoying a beautiful and bountiful August. If you too have a lot of zucchini and are running out of recipes that call for zucchinis here is another family favorite: zucchini pancakes. What are your favorite zucchini recipes?

 

10 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy! ^_^ Thanks for sharing your recipe. I'll have to show it to my sister who is always looking for zuke recipes!

    {hugs}
    Michelle ^_^
    Delightful Handwork

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oh my, this looks incredibly tasty, my friend. Seeing the last photo of all the fresh delights on your plate has my mouth watering!

    Wishing you a joyous week, dear Sarah. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sarah...this looks and sounds like such a delicious recipe...I will have to write it down and whip it up when our summer harvest begins! Soon we'll be planting our squash, tomatoes and beans...among other things! A fresh new season always excites me. {{Smiles}}. I am very glad to hear your garden has done well this year!
    Hope you are enjoying a delightful week!
    Hugs to you,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very good! Thanks for the recipe. I do a zucchini, tomato, mozzarella dish and zucchini bread, and I'm always looking for new zucchini recipes. :-) Have a good week! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks and sounds delicious, Sarah! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I look forward to trying it.

    Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just the recipe I need -tomatoes and zucchini together. Even through the drought those zucchini kept coming and now we have a few tomatoes! This sounds like a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a plate filled with a variety of garden vegetables. The zucchini casserole sounds yummy! Last year I dried all my extra zucchini but didn't get to it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!! The only thing I've ever made with zucchini is chocolate cupcakes that have grated zucchini and chocolate chips in them. They're a family favorite! Almost more like muffins, really, since there is no frosting.

    I apologize for being so lax in the are of commenting of late!! I have enjoyed reading your posts very much, despite the lack of feedback!! :)
    Have a blessed rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks very yummy! Anything with zucchini and tomatoes have gotta be a hit! Thanks for sharing by his recipe!
    Blessings, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am obsessed with zucchini recipes (I think any home gardener is)!! Thank you for sharing yours with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth! :)

    ReplyDelete